Spikes instead of cement for fence posts..Anyone use these????
Estranged
2008-10-12 13:06:32 UTC
Just wondering if anyone has used ground spikes instead of cementing
fence posts.....??????
I saw these at Home Depot,& was looking at using these for a
fence........
Has anyone used these???????

Any comments...suggestions....?????
clouddreamer
2008-10-12 13:24:59 UTC
Post by Estranged
Just wondering if anyone has used ground spikes instead of cementing
fence posts.....??????
I saw these at Home Depot,& was looking at using these for a
fence........
Has anyone used these???????
Any comments...suggestions....?????
I used them once but sold the house a year later. In that year, there
was no problems with shifting etc but I only used them on a short piece
of fencing with a gate.

The one thing about the spikes is that you'll need a sledge hammer and a
piece of 4x4 inserted into the spike to drive it down. Make sure the 4x4
is a couple inches or so higher than the edge of the spike so that you
don't damage the edges. (No...don't try to drive them down with the
fence post in it. It'll only destroy the top of the post).

You might want to slam pretty well the entire spike into the ground (you
can access the bolts by digging out that section a little). Be sure to
water proof the bottom part of the fence post well. I used tar.

And of course...it sucks if you try to drive them into a spot where
there is a boulder a foot down. That can be a real concern given that
the fence has set distances between the posts. So, in the end, you may
end up doing some digging.

;]
--
We must change the way we live
Or the climate will do it for us.
Danimal
2008-10-12 14:33:32 UTC
They are not that great, for a few reasons, weak support for one but mostly
because the fence will loosen up with wind. This application is ideal for a
" 2' high good neighbour fence" but anything around 5-6' high doesn't offer
good support. These spikes would work better if they were secured in cement
first before adding post, but not just driven in the ground. If you plan on
using them anyway, follow CD's directions about using a dummy post for
driving them down. I would use a piece about 24'' long with a handle nailed
on the side for another person to safely hold and position the post without
the fear of getting hit with the sledge hammer.
Any comments...suggestions....?????
clouddreamer
2008-10-12 14:50:47 UTC
Post by Danimal
They are not that great, for a few reasons, weak support for one but mostly
because the fence will loosen up with wind. This application is ideal for a
" 2' high good neighbour fence" but anything around 5-6' high doesn't offer
good support. These spikes would work better if they were secured in cement
first before adding post, but not just driven in the ground. If you plan on
using them anyway, follow CD's directions about using a dummy post for
driving them down. I would use a piece about 24'' long with a handle nailed
on the side for another person to safely hold and position the post without
the fear of getting hit with the sledge hammer.
Actually, that's a great point. The fence I used them on was only about
30" high...just enough to keep kids and dogs out....and there was
nothing in the way of wind where it was.

A five or six foot high fence with the fence itself as a wind catch
would certainly wrench them free over time. I can see that happening.

They have their uses. It really depends what the OP has in mind.

..
Todd Baker
..
d***@gmail.com
2008-10-12 20:40:26 UTC
Post by Estranged
Just wondering if anyone has used ground spikes instead of cementing
fence posts.....??????
I saw these at Home Depot,& was looking at using these for a
fence........
Has anyone used these???????
Any comments...suggestions....?????
Save yourself the aggravation and go with cement. I used a spike when
I put up my fence (6ft. summer time). During the winter that part of
the fence fell down. Put in cement the following summer....4 years
later, no problems.
Darryl Harding
2008-10-12 20:55:50 UTC
Post by Estranged
Just wondering if anyone has used ground spikes instead of cementing
fence posts.....??????
I saw these at Home Depot,& was looking at using these for a
fence........
Has anyone used these???????
Any comments...suggestions....?????
might i suggest what we did for our fence, a 7 foot full privacy
fence....we used 5 gallon buckets filled 1/2 way with cement and
placed all the posts in them before they were set and braced them to
set...tehn we simply dug the holes and put bucket and all into the
ground....4 years ago and solid as stone....

if you need buckets let me know

thanks
and good luck

Darryl

ps...remember to tar the bottom of your posts before you set them in
the cement or ground
?

the cement or ground
t***@gmail.com
2015-08-02 10:58:44 UTC
what a fantastic idea

h***@gmail.com
2015-04-16 00:19:27 UTC
Post by Estranged
Just wondering if anyone has used ground spikes instead of cementing
fence posts.....??????
I saw these at Home Depot,& was looking at using these for a
fence........
Has anyone used these???????
Any comments...suggestions....?????
Post spike is useful when putting up fence post, they are mostly used for home DIY project. Ideal tool for fencing and other foundation.

We are manufacturer of post spike in China, any dimension are Ok with us. Should any question, feel free to contact.

www.hsmetalproduct.com/product/post-anchor/post-spike