Kat McLevey at Folk Night
David Dalton
2016-01-11 04:59:50 UTC
This Wednesday, January 13, 9--11:30 p.m., at Folk Night at
The Ship Pub in St. John's, Newfoundland, the headliner
will be Kat McLevey.

Cover is $5, there are door prizes, there is an open
mic set between the two headline sets, and open mic
performers get a free beer. Also the kitchen is open
until 8 p.m.

Here is the blurb from http://nlfolk.com/folknight.php# :

Since entering the vibrant music scene in her hometown of St. John's in
2012, multi- instrumentalist and songwriter Kat McLevey has become one
of Newfoundland and Labrador's most prestigious up-and-coming singer/
songwriters. She shows a depth well beyond her years, combining her
strong sense of melody, articulate guitar playing and clever lyrical
approach to create a style reminiscent of many, yet still all her own.

Some reviews:
"...a thoughtful young writer with poise and self-awareness beyond her
years."
‹ Vish Khana, Exclaim! Magazine "Kat McLevey is a genius.

"Her writing, musicianship, and all-around creativity has captured my
admiration (and perhaps a bit of envy)."
‹ Chris Kirby, Dipole Productions

"I believe that Kat McLevey is the most promising, new musical talent in
Newfoundland. Her level of skill as a songwriter, singer and
multi-instrumentalist is both intimidating and inspiring and forces
people like myself to dig deeper and work harder at my craft."
‹ Andrew James O'Brien, Fortunate Ones

Her web site is http://www.katmclevey.com/ .

Hopefully the forecast snow or rain will be rain and/or
will hold off until after 11:30 p.m.

Next week (January 20) the headliners will be
Sherry Ryan & Darren Browne of Flower Hill.
"Remember how I found you there/Alone in your electric chair
I told you dirty jokes until you smiled" (Billy Joel)
David Dalton
2016-01-14 06:01:20 UTC
Post by David Dalton
[...]
Kat McLevey, who just finished high school this past
year and is now enrolled at the Berklee School of
Music in Boston, and who has an EP and a full-length
CD out, really impressed me tonight. And there was
a good turnout despite the slightly bad weather.
"You've been so long/Well, it's been so long
And I've been putting out fire/with gasoline" (David Bowie)
David Dalton
2016-01-14 06:04:38 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
[...]
That should be Berklee College of Music.