Hongs buffet in paradise online menu
Manli
2011-04-03 17:11:56 UTC
http://public.fotki.com/Hongs-buffet/.

Hong\'s Buffet now have an online menu.
Stunning Steve
2011-04-03 20:25:51 UTC
We ate there last Saturday evening (March 26). Party of 6. 4 of us got there
at once, the other 2 were about 20 minutes behind. We got our table within
10 minutes and informed our server that we had 2 more people joining us.
Server did not offer to bring any water to the table, and when the other 2
joined us there was still no water on our table, still only place settings
for 4. Server did walk by and notice our party of 6 were now all seated, and
did take our drink order. She told us we could go up and start the buffet.
When we got back, there was still no water on the table, our drinks were not
there, and there was still no place sitting for the extra 2 people, meaning
that 2 of us in the group had no forks, knives or napkins. We all waited
approx. another 10 minutes for the drinks and place settings, as nobody
wanted to start eating until everybody was ready. Of course, food doesn't
stay hot that long, and by the time the drinks & forks arrived our meals
were already getting cold. We also noticed a sign saying "no refills on soft
drinks". WHAT? For $14.99pp this may be the only restaurant we have ever
been to that charges you for your refills.

Food itself was OK, not great. I realize there are very few sit-down
restaurant options in the Paradise area and Hong's is obviously very busy.
The service however, was horrendous. The server herself was sweet and always
apologizing for making us wait. I know it's not her fault-- she was
constantly running from table to table. If it means paying another $3pp to
hire extra servers and speed up service I have no problem with that.
Otherwise, we will not be back to Hong's anytime soon. We'll go elsewhere.

PS, arrows at the buffet saying "line goes THIS way" would make things *SO*
much easier, rather than everybody bumping into each other (this applies to
most buffets, not just Hong's)
Maxima
2011-04-03 23:26:57 UTC
Food was ok eh?
So tell me please where in St.Johns or surrounding area that offer great
buffet food?

Like come on, they are preparing mass qualities of food for animals out
waiting for something that might slightly resemble food. If you go to a low
quality restaurant like Hongs, thongs, or wongs, boston pizza, montana,
around the world, smithys, or all the others, don't expect quality! simple
as that!

Fork out the dough my friend and expect to wait at least 1 hour for your
mean, if you want quality food and service.
Stunning Steve
2011-04-04 02:55:28 UTC
Actually we had a great experience at Boston Pizza, and more than acceptable
at Montana's, Don Cherry's, Swiss Chalet and other places that we frequent.
I never brought up any other restaurant in my original reply. Don't know
what your point is supposed to be? Heck, even KFC has a self-serve soft
drink station. My poiint was that Hong's, as busy as they were, could have
least had water at their tables. I never said their food sucked; at $14.99 I
said it was merely OK. I don't expect Caesars Palace quality for a Holiday
Inn price, and a pitcher of water at the table is not too much to ask, nor
should patrons still be waiting for drinks (after being seated for 20
minutes) when their food is already at their table, *regardless* of how much
the meal cost.

As for "great" buffet food, I'll agree that is a tough one, but I have
certainly had better. For Chinese menu items, Hong Kong Restaurant (Water
Street) has been our favorite for years. And no, I'm not interested in
starting a thread about favorite restaurants :-)
IN
2011-04-06 21:41:37 UTC
I was there once and once too many!! Never again!
The service was ordinary, it was not busy and it was a buffet, so I did not
expect much but typical chinese tablecloths covered in plastic and wiped
with the same dirty cloth over and over, lipstick on drink glasses...shall I
go on??
The food was not fit to eat, it actually make me gag just thinking about it!
Not saying that there are many places that are better, it's pretty much the
same everywhere in the city, mass produced or should I say mass re-heated
prepared, turned over, greasy food.
My 2c.
Maxima
2011-04-07 01:44:26 UTC
Finally someone who knows about food!

You are dead on my friend, as I clearly stated in my post.

But the odd thing is, people go to these places and expect quality
food.........yep seriously they do, and when they don't get it, the come on
here and whine about it, when they are the ones that look like fools if you
ask me.
Dion
2011-04-07 11:20:10 UTC
Post by Maxima
Food was ok eh?
So tell me please where in St.Johns or surrounding area that offer great
buffet food?
The new Chinese buffet "City Lights" in the old Ponderosa location on
Topsail Rd offers excellent buffet food IMO. Two other "not bad" places
are Golden Phoenix in Mt. Pearl and Sequerra's on Elizabeth Ave (very
small buffet but good).
Snipe
2011-04-07 15:06:07 UTC
Post by Dion
Post by Maxima
Food was ok eh?
So tell me please where in St.Johns or surrounding area that offer great
buffet food?
The new Chinese buffet "City Lights" in the old Ponderosa location on
Topsail Rd offers excellent buffet food IMO. Two other "not bad"
places are Golden Phoenix in Mt. Pearl and Sequerra's on Elizabeth Ave
(very small buffet but good).
There is obviously no accounting for taste... ;-)

snipe
Maxima
2011-04-07 22:40:57 UTC
Post by Dion
Post by Maxima
Food was ok eh?
So tell me please where in St.Johns or surrounding area that offer great
buffet food?
The new Chinese buffet "City Lights" in the old Ponderosa location on
Topsail Rd offers excellent buffet food IMO. Two other "not bad" places
are Golden Phoenix in Mt. Pearl and Sequerra's on Elizabeth Ave (very
small buffet but good).
Man you have no idea what good food is if you think Golden Phoenix is
good...............I wouldn't feed that to the dogs........and I'm dead
serious!
IN
2011-04-07 23:34:23 UTC
That seems to be the guide here, inexpensive, plentiful and crappy! Goes for
all of the mentioned places! Next time try Bistro Sofia.

@ Maxima, I couldn't agree more!
serious!
Todd
2011-04-08 01:40:22 UTC
Bistro Sofia is awesome. Great coffee and desserts.
Bistro Sofia
2011-04-09 05:28:13 UTC
Todd

Bistro Sofia looks interesting however their are no prices listed on
their website.
How are the prices? Cheap, moderate, expensive?
Todd
2011-04-09 13:17:14 UTC
I have lunch there mostly and you can sit down have the food brought to
you for about a $13. Can't remember the prices for desserts.
s***@gmail.com
2015-09-10 20:58:33 UTC
Is there a online menu here online.I love the food,been there many times to the buffet but would like to have an outside order as well..