Clicking creaking baseboard heaters
Trevor Kearsey
2010-03-23 21:17:27 UTC
I've got 4 new electric baseboard heaters recently installed and they
each have their own uniquely annoying creaking or clicking that could
drive you mad. Anyone know of any tips on silencing them? Thanks.
John
2010-03-23 22:06:04 UTC
woodstove
m***@gmail.com
2016-12-30 17:34:10 UTC
Post by John
woodstove
-1
cloud dreamer
2010-03-23 22:09:08 UTC
Post by Trevor Kearsey
I've got 4 new electric baseboard heaters recently installed and they
each have their own uniquely annoying creaking or clicking that could
drive you mad. Anyone know of any tips on silencing them? Thanks.
Tighten the screws holding them to the wall.

..
Percy Q
2010-03-24 12:25:13 UTC
Post by cloud dreamer
Post by Trevor Kearsey
I've got 4 new electric baseboard heaters recently installed and they
each have their own uniquely annoying creaking or clicking that could
drive you mad. Anyone know of any tips on silencing them? Thanks.
Tighten the screws holding them to the wall.
  ..
Neither of those is a solution. Especially the first one.

The creaking is probably happening because of the rapid heating and
cooling of the fins in the heater. It's metal expanding again
attached metal. That often happens when using older thermostats, and
some newer ones. The solution I found was to use programmable
thermostats.

Doesn't seem obvious does it? The programmable thermos, once they
initially acheive the temperature setpoint, send fewer AC cycles to
the heater to maintain temperature. Effectively, the feed the heater
less power which leaves the heaters running longer and less hot. That
means the heater doesn't cool off so much, which reduces the amount of
expansion and contraction occurring. It also means they hold their
temperature much tighter resulting in more comfort. And it's slightly
more energy efficient because you're not constantly overpowering a
larger heater when it's not necessary.

Worked for me and people I've recommended it to, but of course, your
mileage may vary. Hope it helps.
Percy Q
2010-03-24 12:28:15 UTC
Post by cloud dreamer
Post by Trevor Kearsey
[...]
Sorry Sibernewf, only just saw your approach - that looks interesting
too. Hadn't heard that before.
clouddreamer
2010-03-24 12:30:13 UTC
Post by Percy Q
Post by cloud dreamer
Post by Trevor Kearsey
I've got 4 new electric baseboard heaters recently installed and they
each have their own uniquely annoying creaking or clicking that could
drive you mad. Anyone know of any tips on silencing them? Thanks.
Tighten the screws holding them to the wall.
..
Neither of those is a solution.
Worked for me after an electrician told me to try it.

Not difficult to do. Simplest thing to try first. If it doesn't work
then he can look deeper.

..
--
We must change the way we live
Or the climate will do it for us.
e***@gmail.com

stan
2010-03-24 16:41:25 UTC
Post by cloud dreamer
Post by Trevor Kearsey
[...]
Makes sense; although some of those 'electronic' programmable
thermostats can cause RFI (Radio Frequency Interference).
We tried one recently and it caused RFI to a bed side radio two rooms
away when it was tuned to CBC or VOCM. So we have changed it again to
a somewhat more expensive thermostat that does not cause interference.
Other wise we have 40 year old baseboard heaters that have never
noticeably creaked with conventional thermostats.
We were always told 'back then 'NOT' to tighten the screws holding the
heaters to the wall too much. The reason being that the old style
thermostats being an ON or OFF device (No graduation or in between
setting) allows the heaters to expand and contract without noise. Only
occasionally and only when turning the heaters on for the first time
at say the start of the heating season has one heard a slight sound.
Very satisfied with the baseboards we used, unlike some, with the the
ones we chose it is not possible for a child to get their fingers over
the edge and down onto the heating element fins. Also less likely for
something such as the edge of a sheet or curtains to drop down into
the heater and get scorched or burn. In 40+ years we have not had to
replace any of our dozen baseboard heaters. Only replacements have
been one circuit breaker and a couple of thermostats; totalling less
than $100 in maintenance costs.
loosen
2010-03-29 15:13:53 UTC
Programmables, although have a smaller hysterisis themselves, may or may not
work noticeably better depending on the thermodynamics of the room which
largely determines room hysterisis. IE - where the thermostats, baseboard
heaters are placed.... drafts, solar radiation, etc...

Sibernewf
2010-03-24 12:16:48 UTC
I recall a few years ago seeing an episode of This Old House where
they addressed this. They were talking about how it comes from the
expansion and contraction of the clips holding the fins to the
elements. You can use a non metallic heat proof clip as they did
(good luck finding it around here) or spray some lubrication on them
so the friction is reduced when they expand.
Uncle Mose
2010-03-24 15:57:21 UTC
Post by Sibernewf
I recall a few years ago seeing an episode of This Old House where
they addressed this.  They were talking about how it comes from the
expansion and contraction of the clips holding the fins to the
elements.  You can use a non metallic heat proof clip as they did
(good luck finding it around here) or spray some lubrication on them
so the friction is reduced when they expand.
I hope the spray lubrication you use if not flammable. Which most are.
Not a good idea to spray a electric heater with any kind of product.
That would be a good recipe for a fire or a short circuit..
I suggest getting programmable thermostats. They regulate the heating
elements much better and stop those large fluctuations in heat. Make
sure that the heater is screwed into a wall stud in several places may
help to. I did it to one of my heaters and it stopped the clicking
sound.
loosen
sound.
Scott Martin
2010-03-24 14:28:04 UTC
Post by Trevor Kearsey
I've got 4 new electric baseboard heaters recently installed and they
each have their own uniquely annoying creaking or clicking that could
drive you mad. Anyone know of any tips on silencing them? Thanks.
Have a look at your actual baseboards...are they very tight/flush
against the side of the heater? If so, the expansion of the heated
metal may cause the baseboards to creak a bit
JR
2010-03-24 15:16:02 UTC
I too have had the creaking sound, and after replacing my thermostats
4 years ago with programmable ones, the creaking has stop.
loosen
2010-03-29 15:05:47 UTC
Loosen the screws attaching it to the wall so it doesn't squeak. You can't
fight expansion by heat by tightening fasteners. You can split boulders
with expansion.
Todd
2013-01-10 17:24:03 UTC
I had this problem and looked through here to find a solution. I decided to go a different way which is working well. I have put a humidifier in the rooms with the creaking baseboards and it has taken a lot of the noises away. There is still an occasional click but it sounded like squirrels were fighting in the baseboards before.
cloud dreamer
2013-01-10 17:27:14 UTC
Post by Todd
Post by Trevor Kearsey
I've got 4 new electric baseboard heaters recently installed and they
each have their own uniquely annoying creaking or clicking that could
drive you mad. Anyone know of any tips on silencing them? Thanks.
I had this problem and looked through here to find a solution. I decided to go a different way which is working well. I have put a humidifier in the rooms with the creaking baseboards and it has taken a lot of the noises away. There is still an occasional click but it sounded like squirrels were fighting in the baseboards before.
Tighten the screws! LOL

;]
David
2013-01-11 00:42:05 UTC
Post by Todd
Post by Trevor Kearsey
I've got 4 new electric baseboard heaters recently installed and they
each have their own uniquely annoying creaking or clicking that could
drive you mad. Anyone know of any tips on silencing them? Thanks.
I had this problem and looked through here to find a solution. I decided
to go a different way which is working well. I have put a humidifier in
the rooms with the creaking baseboards and it has taken a lot of the
noises away. There is still an occasional click but it sounded like
squirrels were fighting in the baseboards before.
] Tighten the screws! LOL
]
] ;]
]

Or loosen them... :)
Behind The Eight Ball

Or loosen them... :)
n***@gmail.com
Or loosen them... :)
Dave
2017-01-02 07:45:11 UTC
Post by Trevor Kearsey
I've got 4 new electric baseboard heaters recently installed and they
each have their own uniquely annoying creaking or clicking that could
drive you mad. Anyone know of any tips on silencing them? Thanks.
Are these the regular baseboard heaters or the new LPC type?