Electric Hot water Radiation Furnace
Browser
2008-03-28 03:08:33 UTC
I am interested in purchasing an electric furnace to replace an oil-
fired system for hot water baseboard radiation.
I have come across the brand name Monitron as a replacement...But I
have also heard that the Monitron only works well with an in-floor
radiation system.
I have considered an air-source heat pump at about $10,000 vs a
Monitron electric furnace at about $3000 ...full install for both
prices.
I have a 2000sf house....NL Power numbers indicate approx $1000/YR for
heat pump and $1800/YR for electric hot water furnace.
All experiences good or bad welcome.
At $1.06 and rising heating with furnace oil is quickly becoming a
thing of the past!!

Thanks
mookie
2008-03-28 11:47:58 UTC
Make sure your electric panel can handle it. I have a 200 amp
service and was told that I would need to upgrade to 400 amps, in
order to install an elec furnace using 40 KW That would cost $2500 -
$3000. Takes a long time to recover your investment.
Browser
2008-03-28 13:11:44 UTC
Post by mookie
Make sure your electric panel can handle it. I have a 200 amp
service and was told that I would need to upgrade to 400 amps, in
order to install an elec furnace using 40 KW That would cost $2500 -
$3000. Takes a long time to recover your investment.
I had my electrical service load tested; no problem to accommodate a
20KW furnace; just have to make room in the panel for a 100amp
breaker.
.
stan
2008-03-29 05:35:57 UTC
Post by Browser
Make sure your electric panel can handle it.   I have a 200 amp
service and was told that I would need to upgrade to 400 amps, in
order to install an elec furnace using 40 KW  That would cost $2500 -
$3000.     Takes a long time to recover your investment.
I had my electrical service load tested; no problem to accommodate a
20KW furnace; just have to make room in the panel for a 100amp
breaker.
.
20 k.watts:
Viz: 20,000/230 = 87 amps.
So 87/200 = about 44% of the 'maximum' rated capacity of the 200 amp
panel. Unlikely that all the rest of the house would ever
(instantaneously) use 113 amps (113 x 230 = 26,000 watts).
Also btw any 'extra' electricity due to not using those CFL bulbs
(inside the house), boiling the kettle, waste heat from the TV set/
computer, running the dish-washer, hot bath water allowed to cool down
in the tub, etc. all contribute to warming the house!
stan
2008-03-29 05:27:52 UTC
Post by Browser
I am interested in purchasing an electric furnace to replace an oil-
fired system for hot water baseboard radiation.
I have come across the brand name Monitron as a replacement...But I
have also heard that the Monitron only works well with an in-floor
radiation system.
I have considered an air-source heat pump at about $10,000 vs a
Monitron electric furnace at about $3000 ...full install for both
prices.
I have a 2000sf house....NL Power numbers indicate approx $1000/YR for
heat pump and $1800/YR for electric hot water furnace.
All experiences good or bad welcome.
At $1.06 and rising heating with furnace oil is quickly becoming a
thing of the past!!
Thanks
Not sure why one kind of electric water heater (cos that's what an
electric furnace is) would be better for in floor heating? Surely heat
is 'heat'; unles one brand has better/or different pumps to push the
heated water around the in-floor piping and/or existing 'radiant'
baseboard heaters or older style radiators? But there are a lot of
heating myths around!
Air source heat pumps have certain advantages and disadvantages one
hears; particularly that in very cold windy weather extra electric
heat is needed anyway!
And $10,000 will buy a lot of oil??? Maybe a thrree to five year
supply? Also it is spent gradually as needed; whereas a $10,000
'heating job' must be paid/financed up front! One has heard of five to
eight year 'paybacks' for heat pump replacements for oil furnaces
etc.?
In ground heat pumps are said to be more expensive again; but more
efficient? Maybe $15,000 to $20,000???
Probably need to do some comparative cost studies based on the OPs
specific situation?
jw
2008-03-29 15:46:24 UTC
I have a monitron 40kw it is connected to the hot water rads that were
previously connected to the oil furnace.
3k for the furnace, and it cost me 5k for the electrical upgrades
needed. Plus the elec water boiler needed then too.
Thanks
jim
2008-03-29 15:50:02 UTC
Post by Browser
I am interested in purchasing an electric furnace to replace an oil-
fired system for hot water baseboard radiation.
I have come across the brand name Monitron as a replacement...But I
have also heard that the Monitron only works well with an in-floor
radiation system.
I have considered an air-source heat pump at about $10,000 vs a
Monitron electric furnace at about $3000 ...full install for both
prices.
I have a 2000sf house....NL Power numbers indicate approx $1000/YR for
heat pump and $1800/YR for electric hot water furnace.
All experiences good or bad welcome.
At $1.06 and rising heating with furnace oil is quickly becoming a
thing of the past!!
Thanks- Hide quoted text -
Could you please comment on the cost coparing oil to electric since
you swapped?
Thanks
stan
2008-03-29 19:55:24 UTC
Post by Browser
[...]
Yes that would be interesting info!
Also the cost of retrofitting the electric furnace sounds very
reasonable; even including the electrical upgrade. i.e. 3 + 5 K$.
And without oil, no tank, no chimney and no furnace combustion chamber
worries or repairs.
mookie
2008-03-29 20:00:47 UTC
That's approx what I was quoted. Figured I would be a long time
recovering $8K Have you had a chance to do any comparisons to your
heat bills then and now????
g***@gmail.com
2016-12-17 13:25:24 UTC
Post by Browser
I am interested in purchasing an electric furnace to replace an oil-
fired system for hot water baseboard radiation.
I have come across the brand name Monitron as a replacement...But I
have also heard that the Monitron only works well with an in-floor
radiation system.
I have considered an air-source heat pump at about $10,000 vs a
Monitron electric furnace at about $3000 ...full install for both
prices.
I have a 2000sf house....NL Power numbers indicate approx $1000/YR for
heat pump and $1800/YR for electric hot water furnace.
All experiences good or bad welcome.
At $1.06 and rising heating with furnace oil is quickly becoming a
thing of the past!!
Thanks
With the cost of natural gas getting prohibitively expensive and about to increase without caps here in NB, I had a heat pump installed ($9000) with 3 heads and that is what I use to heat this 2300 sq ft house. At the same time I got rid of the natural gas hot water tank and replaced it with electric. My average electric bill which covers heat/ air con/ lights & hot water averaged $136/month last year. My natural gas bills were as high at $600/month during the coldest months but I have also heard of some folks paying $1000 - $1500/month gas bills. I now only use my natural gas hot water baseboard heating on the very coldest of winter days when the efficiency of the heat pump drops. I use natural gas heat only as back up, but am now looking at replacing the natural gas boiler with an electric one. Will have to change from 100 amp entrance to 200 amp.