Question for older people in group
Add Reply
jim
2006-02-26 23:48:17 UTC
Does anyone remember Mr. MacDonald's store on Topsail Road? (not rotton
ronnies) but the general store past the Old Blue Rail and before
Soper's store. This place sold everything from braces of rabbits to
bamboo rods. We are trying to figure out if the store site was where
Lester Lube is now. As well we are trying to figure out what year
(approx) the Blue Rail burned down.

Thanks
Dan Parrell
2006-02-26 23:57:11 UTC
ah yes macdonalds, with the barrels and fruit outside, bamboo fishing poles
and panama hats. It was right on the road and I guessing somewhere around
city consumers co-op now a furniture store. I remember that the blue rail
burn down not sure on the year.
Thanks
jim
2006-02-27 01:45:05 UTC
Yes - i too think it was around the co-op. here is one for you - if you
remember the pink poodle rest. a very classy spot to eat before it
became a drug haven - where was that located on topsail road?
Gerald
2006-02-27 02:01:11 UTC
The Picadelli was across the street from the Co-Op,and Barneys
Restaurant was around where the Co-Op is now.I can remember the pink
Poodle,but I can't place it.I don't forget Jerry Burns
however.Macdonalds was on that same side of the road,as well as the Blue
Rail,I think it burned down around 1974,not sure.
mike
2006-02-27 03:21:49 UTC
It was long after 1974 that the blue rail burnt down
mike
2006-02-27 03:29:54 UTC
The Pink Poodle was roughly around stokes or should i say pipers, Best chips
dressing gravy i ever had but as a kid that was all i was allowed
lol
next to it was the bank of nova scotia
DanB
2006-02-27 21:15:21 UTC
Post by mike
The Pink Poodle was roughly around stokes or should i say pipers, Best
chips dressing gravy i ever had but as a kid that was all i was
allowed lol
next to it was the bank of nova scotia
and L&D Spracklin Ltd. in the same building.

There was also another take-out restaurant in that strip. Mars
--
DanB

Remove .your.underwear to reply
Vote For Pedro
2006-02-27 14:47:23 UTC
Post by jim
Yes - i too think it was around the co-op. here is one for you - if you
remember the pink poodle rest. a very classy spot to eat before it
became a drug haven - where was that located on topsail road?
I remember the pink poodle, it was right where Mr. Submarine is (not sure if
mr. sub is still there now...) I think directly across the street from
Burger King.
kArEn
2006-02-28 13:08:40 UTC
I thought the Pink Poodle was right across from Dairy Queen.....
Some car place there now? Collision Clinic Maybe? or Car Max or
something?
Snipe
2006-03-02 17:01:45 UTC
You're right kArEn it was across from the DQ, alongside Tom
Woodford...Pipers is there now...

snipe
something?
n***@gmail.com
2017-11-18 00:43:43 UTC
Palmers VW was bought out by cook and jones. I remember my dad buying a VW camper van my guess middle or late 60's .
davvee
2006-02-27 02:02:01 UTC
I remember it well....He had a house behind the store shaped like a
grand piano. It is not where Lester Lube is now...it was across the
Octagon Pond. I don't remember what is there now...but last time I was
around there it was a second hand store.
Thanks
jim
2006-02-27 02:10:37 UTC
an "old timer" just confirmed that Macdonald's was indeed where lester
lube is now. His house was behind the store - had a bubble light
sunroof in the home which he actually still resided in when the store
was tore down and Lester lube was operating.
davvee
2006-02-27 02:42:30 UTC
Guess I'm not as old as I thought...I do remember the Blue rail...and I
remember that McDonalds had a bunch of bamboo rods outside...and they
sold the BEST custard cones...and it was always blocked!
Corey Trevor
2006-02-27 14:35:51 UTC
I remember the Blue Rail being there in Mt. Pearl, but I barely remember it.
Leads me to believe it burned down somewhere around '85. Maybe a bit later,
but not much.

I may be wrong, but didn't it catch fire before that and was renovated or
re-built?
Monterificus
2006-02-27 14:52:46 UTC
I think the Blue Rail burned in the late 80s. there was a picture of
it on the cover of the St. John's Fire Dept Fire Prevention Guide in
about 1990. Maloneys RV sales and now a used car lot (next to Hemmer
Jane Drive) occupy the Blue Rail site.

Gerry's Roadhouse (I think that's what it was called) was located
opposite from Blackmarsh Rd, and the original building was only torn
down about 5 years ago, another RV Sales and Service place built there.

The Pink Poodle actually owned the old petro Canada Gas station west of
Moffat Rd, that is now a Transmission shop, also recently it has been
home to Apple Auto Glass and Summit Auto Accessories. Not sure of the
original Pink Poodle.... probably before my time in these parts.

Some of the Land north of Topsail rd west Moffat Rd was granted to
veterans of the WWII, and otringinally extended beyond the limits of
what is now Kenmount Road.

Seeing as we are in the neighbourhood.... Cook & Jones Motrors anyone?
davvee
Gerald
mike
2006-02-28 03:19:41 UTC
Yes that was what I was guessing 18-20 yrs ago that the blue rail burnt
down.
Spracklins was in the same strip as the bank of Nova Scotia and Pink Poodle
was next to it.
The building that Mr Sub was in was originally a gas station.
And yes I remember Cook and Jones.AMC
Here is a few more:
A1 take out was right next to the original grahams take out across from
stop and shop which was next to coopers which was next to bishops gas bar.
Did you ever get you car washed at the old gulf corner of outerbridge and
topsail rd.
P & R auto body was there also
Remember when Marshall motors was next to where Woodford is now.
How about Gary's restaurant, A & W before Timmy's and here is one before my
time may be miss spelled Dogs and Subs
in where computer liq is to now
On the topic of subs How about looking at the sign Admirals subs and about
it upstairs Permanent weight loss clinic
hey I could keep going
Just one 2 last ones
A lot of people might remember Kays Lunch
How about Kays mother's take out
Sinniotts take out down on the first part of Bay bulls Rd.
There is a book store there now
jim
2006-02-28 11:20:27 UTC
Dog and suds. i remember that place. they used to have hot dog eating
contests. i remember when the st. john's caps were plugging the place
one time and got the autographs from the team during one of those
events - hubert hutton etc. as well with cook and jones the habs jean
bellevue(sp) was doing a similar plug and i got his autograph on his
hockey card - had to be late 60's or very early 70's. anyone remember
the row boats in the lower pond at bowering park? at one time there was
a monkey in the shed in the middle of that pond.
mike
2006-02-28 11:26:58 UTC
yes i remember the row and petal boats
I remember alot being less than 40