What happened to this group ?
Skeezix LaRocca
2017-05-29 01:42:38 UTC
It seems that 15-20 years ago, this was a very lively group with a lot
of discussions/debates...Anymore, it seems to be mainly a community
bulletin board, not that there is anything wrong with that, but it makes
me wonder...I guess USENET is damn near dead with everyone on Facebook.
David Dalton
2017-05-30 05:01:23 UTC
Post by Skeezix LaRocca
It seems that 15-20 years ago, this was a very lively group with a lot
of discussions/debates...Anymore, it seems to be mainly a community
bulletin board, not that there is anything wrong with that, but it makes
me wonder...I guess USENET is damn near dead with everyone on Facebook.
Well, all the Internet service providers stopped promoting Usenet
newsgroups to their subscribers, and eventually shut down their
newsservers. That includes universities ( news.mun.ca was
still active in 2004 but I don’t know if it still is now, I may test
that when I am in my office at MUN some day). A lot of past
users have switched to Facebook or Twitter or Reddit.
Google groups has tried to offer a good web interface to
Usenet newsgroups (but I still prefer a newsreader) but it
hasn’t really caught on.

But I find the threading capability of newsgroups to be vastly
superior to Facebook groups and I wish someone would come
up with newsreader apps that would catch on and cause a
resurgence in Usenet newsgroup usage.

If you want to see a group that is still high traffic visit alt.atheism .
“But your eyes like midnight fireflies
Light up the trenches where my heart lies" (Sarah McLachlan)
NLR
2017-06-12 22:07:32 UTC
Post by Skeezix LaRocca
It seems that 15-20 years ago, this was a very lively group with
a lot of discussions/debates...Anymore, it seems to be mainly a
community bulletin board, not that there is anything wrong with
that, but it makes me wonder...I guess USENET is damn near dead
with everyone on Facebook.
What happened to this group is the same thing that is happening
to our highways in this province, too many people who believe the
rules don't apply to them. This started as a discussion group
but it is hard to have a discussion with people who begin their
posts with "Where's the cheapest place to buy..........."