Simani's breakup
Stunning Steve
2003-12-09 01:17:45 UTC
For the past few years, "Simani" has been known as "Sim & Friends", as Bud Davidge and Sim Savory have long since parted ways. Without Davidge's distinct vocals, the music just doesn't sound the same, as evident in Saturday night's annual Fortune Bay Dance (Mt. Pearl Reid Center).

Does anybody know why these 2 Nfld music icons parted ways? Was there a major falling out, or did Davidge have to step aside for personal/health reasons? The Fortune Bay dances still play to sellout crowds each year, but the people who go say it just isn't what it used to be (no disrespect to Sim & Friends).
Peter Whittle
2003-12-09 01:32:31 UTC
Fortune Bay dances? tell me more. Might be something to look into in the future

Peter

Stunning Steve
2003-12-09 02:06:36 UTC
Held usually on the 1st Saturday night in December, at the Reid Center in Mt. Pearl. Used to hold 450-500, but was reduced to 400 this year by order of the Fire Commissioner. This year's cost was $18 double, and hundreds more were turned away. I think once you attend one of these, your name goes on a list for the following year. You become eligible to buy a ticket only when somebody drops out. My parents have been going to this dance since the mid 80's, and haven't missed a year yet. While "Sim & Friends" is still a great time, the sound is quite different from the days of Simani. Still, after a few swallies (it's BYOB, even better for the wallet), nobody really cares who's playing. Everybody enjoys themselves, and despite the crowd being about 90% seniors (or at least 50+), the crowd stays until the very end (about 2:00 am this year).

Quintypoo
2003-12-09 01:40:47 UTC
I thought one of the guys died.

c***@gmail.com
2016-10-15 03:14:24 UTC
Hello,

Where I haven't met Sim Savory but once in 1995 in Hermitage, I have met Bud in 1995 and have known him and considered him a friend since then.

They were good friends up until the passing of Sim Savory, March 16, 2010.

Bud recorded his first and third release as a soloist at Sim's Studio and that's Sim playing that accordion on the song Black And White.

Their last album was in 1997, "Ye Can't Have Joe Smallwood and Ye Can't Have John Cabot", marking the 500th Anniversary of the discovery of Newfoundland, and poking a bit of fun at John Cabot (the discoverer) and Joseph Smallwood (Newfoundland's first premier when it joined Canada in 1949).

I believe (I would have to confirm it with Bud, which will probably not happen because I just don't bring up the past to a friend that may conjure up sadness) Bud and Sim just wanted it to end on a happy note. Bud had solo projects he was interested in, and Sim was busy enough with his studio.

That's pretty much it...