Question re: paying for second cup of tea at a restaurant
Uptown Girl
2009-08-03 01:19:09 UTC
I am curious to see if many people have encountered this situation. I have
only experienced this at one restaurant within the city or anywhere I have
travelled - within the province or outside.

I have eaten at a local restaurant twice in the past month - both times with
different friends. I am a tea drinker - my friends are all coffee
drinkers. When I want more tea I usually ask for a fresh cup so I don't
have to pour the hot tea into the cold tea left in the cup.

This restaurant charges $2.50 if you ask for a fresh cup as they give you a
new tea bag. I do not follow the logic as they do not charge for the coffee
and it costs them to make the fresh coffee. Tetley tea - 516 for about
$8.00. (roughly 15 cents each - retail). When I asked our server last
night she didn't know anything about it but when she came back she said you
can use Bag # 1 as many times as you like. It's that second bag that costs
you the $2.50.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this in any other restaurant. In
the past month or so we have had a lot of company and have eaten out a bit
more than usual. We have eaten at the Gypsy Tearoom, Blue on Water, The Keg,
Pier 17, Swiss Chalet, Boston Pizza, The Cellar, The Tea Garden (Holyrood)
and a few others. I have never been charged for a second cup,

Tea drinkers, if you have a minute could you please share your experinces.

Thanks;-)
Todd
2009-08-03 01:25:17 UTC
Where was it that you were charged twice? I'm not a tea drinker but a
friend is and as far as I know everytime we eat anywhere she's never
had to pay for more than one cup.
Thanks;-)
Dion
Thanks;-)
Gabby
2009-08-03 03:33:31 UTC
On Aug 2, 10:19 pm, "Uptown Girl" <***@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote:
The last time I asked for a second cup of tea at a restaurant the
waitress brought a new teabag in her fingers, dropped it in my dirty
cup and poured less than boiling water on it. I was charged for two
cups.

Now, I don't often bother asking for a first, let alone a second. I
find that it's a rare restaurant that actually makes your tea, they
expect you to make it. I despise having them bring me a pot of hot
water and a teabag on the side.
Marie
2009-08-03 16:43:18 UTC
Irving in Donovan's has the best cuppa in town - they put two tea bags in a
nice sized pot and they use very hot water - I have never had them charge me
for a second cup of tea, not that you usually need a second one. As a
matter of fact, they usually ask if you would like more.

JR
2009-08-05 14:12:35 UTC
Post by Marie
Irving in Donovan's has the best cuppa in town - they put two tea bags in a
nice sized pot and they use very hot water - I have never had them charge me
for a second cup of tea, not that you usually need a second one.  As a
matter of fact, they usually ask if you would like more.
The last time I asked for a second cup of tea at a restaurant the
waitress brought a new teabag in her fingers, dropped it in my dirty
cup and poured less than boiling water on it.  I was charged for two
cups.
Now, I don't often bother asking for a first, let alone a second.  I
find that it's a rare restaurant that actually makes your tea, they
expect you to make it.  I despise having them bring me a pot of hot
water and a teabag on the side.
The best cup(s) of tea I have had in a restaurant is at Around the
World Restaurant in Mt. Pearl. They bring you a nice size pot - nice
teapot - sitting on a tea holder with a tealight candle burning
underneath in the holder. Lots of tea for a second cup, or more, and
its kept hot the whole time. I'm sure tea drinkers have noticed how
rare it is to even get a hot cup of tea (or coffee for that matter).
t***@gmail.com
2015-12-08 14:45:47 UTC
I own a restaurant and for the first time in 30 years someone asked for a second teabag. They usually ask for more hot water. A new teabag is a new serving, just as milk and juice are not free refills. It may seem odd to the consumer, but you have to look at it from a business standpoint. You could always save money by drinking hot tea, milk or juice at home. When you go to a restaurant, a business owner incurs many expenses such as rent, utilities, buying food, dishes, etc. So there is a fee for things. You don't get a refill on vodka or expect it. We also don't serve saltines with our soup. I had a guest one time who just didn't understand why we didn't have crackers. I said crackers actually cost money. He said no there always free. Well do you go to the grocery store and get free bread, crackers and tea bags??? They run a business too and the goods cost them monies. Perhaps just look at it from the business owner's perspective.
resident
2015-12-08 19:05:13 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
I'm a customer and it doesn't seem odd to me at all. When I eat
out I expect to pay for what I consume, either directly or
indirectly. Many restaurants do offer free beverage refills but
they are not actually free. That cost is, in fact, hidden in the
menu prices. I'm sure that restaurants which serve crackers with
their soup include the cost of those crackers in the price of the
soup making it appear as if they are free.

Treat your good customers well and they will come back. Ignore
those in our society who are always looking for something for
nothing.