CBC, NTV & OZFM local over-the-air coverage / antenna used? Looking for input.
Ed
2011-09-07 14:42:28 UTC
Have tried picking up our vast array of local OTA (over-the-air)
channels in St. John's area and would like to get some input from
others who have tried.

Here's what I believe to be the available channels:

CBC - Channel 8.3 (on my Sony)
NTV - Channel 21.1 (info from a friend in East end with a different
antenna)
OZFM - Channel 21.2 (info from a friend in East end with a different
antenna)

I am in the West End (Kilbride).

Currently trying a $10 flat antenna from Princess Auto. (Terk FDTV2A)

Results:

CBC - Works perfectly. Picture is clear and crisp. Did see some audio
out of sync last night.
NTV - no signal
OZFM - no signal

I would like to see input from many.

Ed
Bob Ster
2011-09-08 12:18:04 UTC
In East Extern, I get NTV HD on 21.2, OZFM on 21.2 and CBNT HD on 8.1.
My antenna is comprised of an 8-inch piece of coax with an 8-inch piece
of wire attached to each of the inner and outer conducters.

Something like this:
Ed
Jamie
2011-09-09 11:11:30 UTC
I'm in Airport Heights. NTV and OZ come in clearly and easily (strong
signal). CBC is a challenge to pick up, I only got it by moving the
antenna to the second floor of my house far away from my tv. I used
existing "in the wall" coax to run the signal back downstairs. The
channels are

CBC - 8.1
NTV - 21.1
OZFM - 21.2

I initially used the flat antenna you're using but also tried an
amplified Philips (also from P. Auto - $25) which I find better. My
Samsung TV signal strength meter shows a much stronger signal on all
channels when using the Philips vs. the Tekron flat one.
Ed
r***@gmail.com
2012-02-24 19:02:23 UTC
Sharing...

Not many people out there in St. John's without Rogers, or Aliant already I'm sure, but those of you who are, here is a way to get Digital Over The Air OTA HDTV broadcasts without any cost to you. I've heard that in the east-end, CBC reception is very difficult to get - I cannot get it myself, but NTV comes through just fine. In the west-end it is the other way around.

Shaw Direct is offering a free program to get OTA broadcasts - read
on. I called them about it today, they said I qualify and emailed me
a form to send back to them. They will then send out the FREE
equipment. Once received, call them again and they will come out and
install it for FREE. The whole works is FREE. No need to buy your
own HDTV antenna. The service is FREE too.

---
http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/english/digitaltransition/default.asp?WT.mc_id=DTV

-excerpt below

My channels are going dark but I've never been a cable or satellite
customer before. What are my options?

If you haven't been a cable or satellite customer in the last 90 days
and live in or near one of the cities listed below, you may be
eligible for our Local Television Satellite Solution (LTSS) program*.
This program will allow you to continue receiving the same or similar
Canadian over-the-air channels you've always enjoyed courtesy of Shaw
Direct. Please call one of our service representatives before November
30, 2012 at 1.888.782.7602 to see if you qualify.

Barrie Foymount London Saguenay Truro
Burmis Fredericton Moncton Saint John Vancouver
Calgary Halifax Montreal Sarnia-Oil Springs Victoria
Charlottetown Hamilton Ottawa Saskatoon Winnipeg
Chatham Kitchener Quebec City Sherbrooke Windsor
Digby Lac-Etchemin Quebec St. John's
Edmonton Lethbridge Riviere-du-loup Thunder Bay
Forestburg Lloydminster Rouyn-Noranda Trois-Rivieres
---
Colorful Canary
2012-02-24 23:25:48 UTC
We live in Portugal Cove - St. Phillips (Portugal Cove side) and use a
Walmart Phillips (cheapie model) digital rabbit ears. NTV, CBC and OZ
all crystal clear
Randy Sparkes
2012-02-25 06:51:55 UTC
I bought 3 different Digital Antennas - none of them could bring in
CBC in Airport Heights (Boxee Live TV, Philips, RCA). Positioned on
the front of the house, back, and on almost on top - neither made a
difference in trying to get CBC, yet all worked for NTV. So I found
the Shaw Direct solution after getting a phone number to call off a
government site, which while non-active the announcement indicated to
check out Shaw's free solution. The free equipment promotion/service/
installation ends this November 2012, so if when it gets here and they
install and it actually works - great, otherwise I guess I'll be stuck
with NTV. I download all of the shows I watch, but it is nice to have
a hockey game or the news in HD instead of using a live stream over
the internet.
Randy Sparkes
2012-02-25 06:58:56 UTC
.
fog
2012-03-01 03:19:19 UTC
I've tried in two different sections of west end, and both couldn't get
CBC whatsoever. NTV works fine.

But, I'll check out your Shaw suggestion.
---
David
2012-03-01 22:50:18 UTC
I've tried in two different sections of west end, and both couldn't get CBC
whatsoever. NTV works fine.
But, I'll check out your Shaw suggestion.
In Mt. Pearl I use a basic "rabbit ears" digital antenna (from Princess
Auto) and the arms are pointed in (approximately) a west/east line (flat
to the wall behind the TV) and get both CBC and NTV clear.

David.
h***@gmail.com
I live in Foxtrap. I stripped 8 inches of insulation off the end of a coax cable. I pick up CBC, NTV, and OZFM with no problem. It all depends where in the house the antenna is.
j***@gmail.com
CBS - Chamberlains at ground level I get CBC @ 61%. Weather causes distortion and having to use DIY antenna made with AWG12.
t***@hsfgroup.ca
2016-01-11 00:39:04 UTC
Post by Ed
Have tried picking up our vast array of local OTA (over-the-air)
channels in St. John's area and would like to get some input from
others who have tried.
CBC - Channel 8.3 (on my Sony)
NTV - Channel 21.1 (info from a friend in East end with a different
antenna)
OZFM - Channel 21.2 (info from a friend in East end with a different
antenna)
I am in the West End (Kilbride).
Currently trying a $10 flat antenna from Princess Auto. (Terk FDTV2A)
CBC - Works perfectly. Picture is clear and crisp. Did see some audio
out of sync last night.
NTV - no signal
OZFM - no signal
I would like to see input from many.
Ed
Back In August Of 2015, I Decided To Buy An Antanna At The Source In The Avalon Mall To Hook Up In My Room At My Moms House.

I Successfully Hooked It Up To My TV In My Room

And Heres The Stations I Got:

CBC (CBNT-DT) 8.1

NTV (CJON-DT) 21.1

OZFM (CHOZ-FM) 21.2

All The Channels Worked Great

I Live On The Top Of Topsail Hill In Paradise And The Quality Is Best Kind

I Decided To Buy Another One At The Same Place To Hook Up At My Dads House Which Is Down On Topsail Pond Area, And I Successfully Hooked It Up Downstairs And I Never Got Anything

But When I Hooked It Up In My Room Upstairs, I Could Only Get CBC

Then I Hooked it Up In The Living Room At My Moms House, And The Quality Was Best Kind At Times

So To Tell You The Truth, I Can Only Those 3 Channels At My Moms But Not At My Dads